If You Are Not Using the SLD Framework for Your Adwords Campaign – There is More Than 98% Chance That Your Campaign Will Fail Flat in Less Than 30 Days
….Learn This Unique Framework Which Has A Proven Mechanism to Prevent Your Campaign From Making Loss and Has All the Techniques Built Into It to Multiply Your Adwords Profits 10X – All in 2 Weeks
Before we start talking about Adwords framework, let me share with you a related story of my good friend – John who was an expert rock climber. He had done rock climbing on hundreds of feet high rocks, on some huge mountains and on some really rough /patchy terrains. Over the course of time, he had discovered and devised his own techniques for grappling, moving, body control and what not.
But the climbing attempt which he made last summer – turned out to be his last attempt. He could never try it again. It was the highest rock he was trying to climb this time to make a record and to be true – it was not beyond his skills or capabilities.
He knew the in and out of climbing like he was born for it. This time also he was well prepared, had practiced a lot and had got some extra ordinary gears and tools created for himself – which were designed only for him. He knew he was going to make it.
He started climbing, had crossed half the height in shortest time that anyone else could have only imagined. It was all looking wonderful and set for success. But exactly then, he came falling down, there was no one to stop, there was nothing to prevent him from the fall. He had done everything right – new gears, new tools, applied all successful tricks and strategies – but one mistake had caused him a huge set back.
Would you like to know what that one mistake was – he had not created a fallback support system, he had not created the right safety hooks for him – which would have prevented his fall. Once he started falling – there was nothing on which he could fall back on.
There was nothing on which he could have relied for these unexpected scenarios. He had prepared for success but not for failure.
He relied on his experience and gears to save him from everything. He had made a mistake of not having a fall-back mechanism. It was just one mistake and it all came crumbling down for him.
And this is the same mistake you are making if you are not using the SLD Framework – which I’m going to explain you now – while launching an Adwords Campaign.
Most of the advertisers – no matter how much of experience they have and no matter if they have launched the campaign with best set of keywords, most optimized landing pages and all latest strategies – fail to make money because they don’t have this framework which not only pushes you forward but also gives you a support system when your campaign starts to fail.
SLD is a strategic framework – consisting of well-optimized methods and tested techniques – which guides you to create a successful campaign – in however difficult market/niche – which can keep pumping money to your account all day along like a well-oiled automated money machine.
It has all the arms, ammunitions and strategies built into it – which makes your campaign successful. It has steps and methods which tell you what to do, when to do, how to launch a campaign and how to steer through the unknown territory of new niches and new markets.
It guides you to launch your campaign like a targeted and measured missile which is set out to lock, follow and kill it’s competitors.
But the biggest secret this framework has – that no one else is using – is it’s fall-back shield system – which measures every deviation, locks the missile in time, ensures that it doesn’t deviate and provides enough guidance for it to recover and regain the right path – in case it starts deviating from the set target.
With SLD framework, you can launch successful campaigns no matter whether you are an expert or new to Adwords. You can use it to launch and make money from your very first adwords campaign even if
- you have no clue about the market/niche
- you are launching your first adwords campaign
- you have limited money to test a market
- your competitor has huge money – which you don’t have
- you are going after a very competitive market/niche
So let’s dive into it and learn what this framework is and how can you use it into your adwords strategy to launch successful campaigns – every time.
The SLD framework is based on 3 pillars –
If you miss any of above, you can deviate and miss your targets. So let’s learn what these 3 pillars are and how can we use them for our advantage.
Pillar 1: Create Spy Campaign
When you launch an adwords campaign, there are so many variables – the list of keywords, their match type, the landing page quality, the ads text, timing of day and many more – which define whether the campaign will turn out to be a success or a failure.
And there is absolutely no way – one can be right about all these factors from the very beginning. No matter whether you are an expert who has launched 100’s of successful campaigns till date or a new learner who is launching her/his first campaign – you can’t be certain about all these factors and it’s success.
That’s why this framework starts with a Spy Campaign – the only purpose for which is – to go collect the real data, find out the strengths and weaknesses of competitors and figure out the money-making areas of the market/niche.
If you don’t start your campaign with a Spy Campaign – you are basing every thing on assumptions and you are wasting your time, money and effort.
So let’s see what a Spy Campaign involves.
The very essence of a Spy Campaign is -
a) it’s simple to start,
b) it doesn’t take time to launch and
c) it has single focus – to collect real data.
It’s not meant to make money, it’s not meant to beat competitors. We’ll do that later – with 2nd and 3rd pillar of framework. But as of now – we are just focused on collecting the real data – based on which we can go ahead and plan our future actions.
So when we are creating a Spy Campaign, we will follow these exact 5 steps –
1) Come up with a set of master keywords based on some root keywords related to your niche/market using Google external tool
2) Create a set of adgroups by dividing these keywords in small groups either based on a theme or based on landing pages. This will ensure, you are showing targeted ads to your users whereas your competitors are wasting money with unrelated ads.
3) Create 2 Ad texts for each adgroup so that you can rotated ads and see which one works best for your market. While you’ll be spying and testing best ads which attracts maximum click through, your competitors will be completely unaware that they are on your target and will be losing all their money to you soon .
4) Setup the conversion tracking code on landing page/ thank you page
5) And then launch the Spy Campaign with following settings
i) “Rotate ads evenly” – don’t choose “optimize for highest clicks”
ii) Show ads evenly – don’t choose “Run as soon as possible”
iii) Run for whole day – unless you know for sure the time/day when you want to target customers
iv) Select target location to your target city/country
v) Set Max CPC for Adgroup = Assumed Conversion Rate of Landing Page X Monetary Value of 1 Conversion [ for e.g. if you assume the conversion rate for your landing page is 5% and value of each conversion is $5, your Max CPC should be 0.05 X $5 = $0.25. Note that the conversion can be lead for a lead capture page and sales for a sales page.]
vi) Set the daily budget for campaign = (500 X Max. CPC)/7. So in case of above scenario, we would set the campaign’s daily budget as (500 X $0.25)/7 = $18
That’s it – just launch the Spy Campaign now.
Your spy is all set to do the hard work for you and give you all the data you’ll need for next stage. It will bring back the data from your competitors – who are still clueless – and tell you exactly what’s currently working and what’s not.
And if you follow the “Launch Strategy” – the next pillar in SLD framework – with this data, you are all set to take away money from your competitor’s hands. Your competitors will suddenly feel a loss of weight in their stomach as if they are suddenly falling down. As if everything is falling apart for them and they are losing all controls. They will fail to understand as suddenly what has happened. And even before they understand – you will be on your way to massacre and would have collected all the money – all in front of their eyes.
So now let’s see how we can execute the “Launch Strategy” based on Spy Campaign to launch our funnel campaign [I’ll explain what a funnel campaign is in next step] – like a targeted missile – which is all set to devastate the competitors.
Pillar 2: Launch Funnel Campaign
A funnel campaign is the campaign designed to funnel money to your accounts. It’s like launching a missile which is set to destroy the competitors after tweaking the directions, setting up the fuel on fire and configuring backup systems for the missile. After you follow this step – your campaign will be all set for success and you will start making money.
But there is another pillar – the 3rd step of Destroy in SLD framework – which will take it to the next level and destroy the competition, pump double the money to your account and bring the market to it’s knees.
But before we do that, it’s critical that we do our 2nd step properly. Because if we don’t do it properly, there is no way we will be able to enter into the 3rd stage. So let’s learn what the 2nd step of “Launch Funnel Campaign” involves.
The purpose of Funnel Campaign is to –
a) launch a campaign which is configured and tweaked based on data collected from Spy campaign
b) start segregating what’s making money and what’s not
c) create a baseline real-data matrix based on which our campaign will be tweaked and optimized further
d) start funneling money to your account – note that it’s just the start of it
So let’s see what are the steps involved in “Launching the Funnel Campaign” –
1) Enhance Ad CTR – This step involves enhancing the click-through-rate of your ads. If the click-through-rate of your ad is less than 3%, that’s bad and definitely needs immediate attention. If it’s above 3%, you can still manage with it and go to next step. But there is no reason not enhancing it if you can. There can be various reasons for which you are getting bad CTR -
a) Low Avg. Position for Ads – You ads are being displayed at a position lower than 5. If this is the case, check your list of keywords and find out the keywords for which your ads avg. position is less than 5 – and increase the bid for these keywords by 10%. Don’t worry much about increasing the CPC – as there might be certain keywords which will cost you more than what you had planned/estimated because of higher competition – but these can be high converting keywords effectively making the cost of conversion low.
b) Bad Ad Text – Your ad text might not be appealing. So even if the avg. ad position is good, very few people are clicking on it causing a bad CTR. So to overcome it, you should enhance your ad’s text. Here are some steps to enhance your ad text –
i) Improve the headline of your ad. The best way to enhance headline is by including some unique characters in it like #, @, numbers, $ etc. in it.
ii) Enhance the description of your ad text by including some specific benefits, unique selling points of your product/service [like lowest price, 2 hour delivery, money back guarantee, 100% success assurance etc.] and call-to-action words [like “download now”, “find now”, “get now” etc].
2) Enhance Keywords – After running the Spy campaign, you will get the real data and would get to know what are the search terms for which your ads were triggered – and how did those traffic convert for you. So now is the time to act on these real data which is based on market competition, real search terms used by customers and your landing page conversion. After completing this step, your campaign will start triggering your ads exactly when your customers are searching for you using the words they use to search online. Whereas, your competitors will still be busy and wasting money doing all kind of keywords research using fancy tools. They will be wasting money on unreal words whereas you will be making money with the words your customers use.
Just go through the actual search terms – you can find it by clicking the tab – “Keyword Details –>Search Terms -> All”. Add all those search terms into your campaign which have cost-of-conversion less than your earning-per-conversion.
You should also go through the search terms report and note all the keywords against which you don’t want your ads to be triggered. Prepare a separate list for all these keywords and add these as negative keywords under the campaign.
3) Enhance CPC – When we launched the Spy Campaign, we had set the Max. CPC for Adgroup based on assumptions regarding landing-page-conversion. But now, we have the real data with us. We know how’s our landing page converting. So based on this actual data we’ll re-calculate the Max CPC using same formula.
Let’s assume, after running the campaign, we saw that the conversion rate for our landing page is 10% instead of 5% (which we assumed earlier). So the new Max CPC = Actual Conversion Rate X Earning-Per-Conversion = 0.1 X $5 = $0.5.
But as we are going to enhance the CTR and keywords by following strategy mentioned in previous 2 steps, we can assume some improvement factor and go for still higher bid. We can safely assume an improvement of 10% after enhancing Ads and Keywords [as mentioned in previous 2 steps] – that means we can pay 10% more. So we will have new Max. CPC = 1.10 X $0.5 = $0.55. So now we’ll go and change the Max CPC for our all Adgroups to this new calculated CPC.
4) Enhance Ad Positioning – This step helps us overcome the limitation of words that Awords ads come with and help us communicate more to our customer – hence enhancing CTR and overall conversion.
As you know, we can use a maximum of 25 characters for ad’s headline and 35 characters for ad description. This means, we get very limited words to out-sell others. And we can overcome it by leveraging sitelink extension feature in Adwords.
So we will go ahead and add some site extension in the campaign. These site extensions will talk about some more benefits that customers get from us. So we can create some site extensions like “Pay in 3/6 EMI” or “Delivery in 24 Hours” or “With Additional Bonus” etc.
Note that these lines that we use to create Ad Extension should be something which is already not present in Ad Text [headline or description].
This helps us increase our CTR and also position us uniquely in front of our customers. As you can see above, by using sitelinks – we have almost doubled the CTR and reduced cost-per-conversion by more than 80%. When your competitors will still be limited with number of words they can use in their adwords ads, you will be using this backdoor secret strategy to get twice space for your ads at lower cost – which they have no idea about – hence giving you more visibility, more customers & more money.
Note that, these ad extensions are shown only if our ad is among top 2 ads – shown on top part of Google. But when it’s shown – it definitely makes it stand out and hence drive much higher click-through.
5) Enhance Budget Distribution – This is another crucial step which involves spending more money when we are getting more conversions and spending less when conversion is less. To do this, we will use the day parting feature in Adwords. It’s a feature in Adwords which lets us pause campaign during certain hours of day and also lets us adjust the bids based on time of day. Once we do this, we will be spending money only during those hours when we are making money while your competitors will still be wasting money throughout the day. This will give you a huge cost-advantage over your competitors. So we’ll see the data from Spy Campaign, find out the time of day -
i) which is converting best and increase our bids by 10% for this time period
ii) which is converting just average and let the bid remain same for this
iii) which is converting bad and reduce the bid by 10% for this period
iv) which is not converting and pause the campaign for this period
Once we have completed above steps, we are ready to launch our funnel campaign. This will be a new campaign – which is fine tuned based on Spy Campaign data – and is all set to make you money.
After launching this funnel campaign, money will start dripping in your account and you’ll be on your way to new found success. Now you have got the understanding of market/competition and incorporated all your learning into it and have launched your funnel campaign. This campaign will start funneling money to your account.
But wait – there is more to it. You have just started making money but it’s not complete until you squeeze every bit of money from this campaign, until you bring your competitors to knees and leave them puzzled as if earth had moved below their feet.
And this will be achieved by using the 3rd and last pillar of our SLD framework – the Destroy step. So now let’s see how we’ll move into our last and final stage of SLD framework – the Destroy Step.
It literally brings your competition to knees and leave them helpless while you squeeze every penny from the market and make maximum money at lowest cost. This last pillar can multiply your profits and bring down all your competitors.
Pillar 3: Destroy Competitors – Launch Money Campaign
True to it’s literal meaning – the Destroy Stage – involves destroying your competition, putting the money making campaign in full throttle and making as much money as you can.
The purpose of “Destroy Stage” is to -
a) create a money campaign – which runs in full throttle and brings all the money to your account
b) separate funnel campaign from the money campaign
c) destroy your competitors by creating a huge cost-advantage
It’s the most critical step which multiplies your profit without much effort, helps you make maximum money with least cost and let your competitors run here and there helplessly. You must have understood the significance of this stage by now.
So let’s see what are the steps involved in Destroy Stage -
1) Create a new campaign with same settings as that of Funnel Campaign – we call it the Money Campaign. And then move all those keywords and ad texts from Funnel Campaign to Money Campaign which fit into one of below criteria -
a) ad texts which have highest CTR in an adgroup – copy all these text ads to Money Campaign
b) keywords which are profitable i.e. cost per conversion is less than earning per conversion – move all these keywords to Money Campaign
2) Make a list of all the keywords which we’ve put in Money Campaign and remove these keywords from the Funnel Campaign [you can also set these keywords as exact negative keywords in the Funnel Campaign]. This will ensure that our ads are triggered only by the Money campaign and not the Funnel Campaign.
3) Increase daily budgets to the maximum you can for the Money Campaign. As the Money Campaign consists of all money making keywords and has best converting ads, it’s your money making campaign. And you would like to run it in full throttle because the more you spend here – the more profit you make. So just let the Money Campaign run with maximum daily budget that your pocket allows. And you’ll be making huge cash in minimum time without wasting budget on losing campaigns.
4) Change the Ad Delivery Method to – Accelerated i.e. Show ads as quickly as possible. This will ensure, you are not missing any traffic and your ad is being triggered for every search that’s related to keyword existing in your money campaign. The more number of times your ad is displayed, the more money you make. So now, your money making campaign will start running in full throttle collecting money from all the corners it can.
5) Change Ad Rotation to – Optimize for Clicks. This will ensure that you are getting maximum click and hence paying lowest CPC.
Once you have completed above steps – you will have 2 campaigns running for you – 1 funnel campaign and 1 money campaign.
Funnel campaign will keep on working on new set of keywords with new set of ads and start segregating money making keywords from loss making keywords. It’s like your ever running machine which goes and figure out new money making possibilities – even when you are busy somewhere else.
And your Money Campaign will be busy pumping money into your account that your market has and will start bringing your competitors to knees.
So now you have got all things in place – you have one campaign which is looking for new opportunities in your market and you have another campaign which is squeezing maximum money from every opportunity that it gets to know.
Congratulations! You have just created a money making machine for yourself. So, go take a break and enjoy your win with a huge smile on your face while your puzzled competitors run here and there to save their money which has suddenly started disappearing from their accounts.